Sandy Relief Funds Available to Seniors and the Disabled
Has your property sustained damage from Superstorm Sandy?
If so, Social Services Block Grants (SSBG) may be able to help!
This program provides funds for eligible seniors and persons with disabilities to replace or repair damage to their primary residences/properties not covered through other programs.
Home repairs or replacements may include, but are not limited to: interior wall boards, mold remediation, cooling/heating systems, electrical repairs, roofing, cutting/removing trees, removal of debris, and replacement of major home appliances.
These grants are administered by the US Department of Health and Human Services through the Cape May County Board of Social Services in Rio Grande.
The program has an established cap up to $5,000 per participant. Requests for a waiver justifying a cap increase will be evaluated by the Division of Aging Services on a case-by-case basis.
To qualify for a grant one must provide the following:
Proof of Disability (as determined by Social Security Administration or Medicaid Agency)
- Proof person has applied for FEMA, public or private insurance, if applicable
- Proof of the amounts applied for and received from the aforementioned sources for the purpose of home repair/replacement
- Proof that the repairs are for the primary residence and not a second home
- Individuals will be required to attest that the information contained in the application is true and accurate.
- Three written quotes are sent to the county for final review and approval.
For more information or to apply, contact Stephen Altman, SW at (609) 886-6200 ext. 275. Or send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org