901 Atlantic Avenue North Wildwood, New Jersey 08260

Phone: 609-522-2030 Ext. 1560
Fax: 609-846-9995
Office Hours: Monday – Friday 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Daniel Speigel, Construction Official/Fire Official/Zoning Officer.

Jeanne Kilian, Assistant to the Construction Official.

opens in a new windowNJ DCA Division of Codes and Standards
If you live in a Flood Zone Area please check with the NJDEP to see if a permit is required..
NJDEP Hot Line #1-800-448-7379.

opens in a new windowConstruction Application Fee Schedule

opens in a new windowConstruction Office Flood Letter 10-23-13

Elevation Certificates

The Construction Department oversees the enforcement of all New Jersey State adopted construction codes which include building, fire, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, asbestos, barrier free access and lead abatement within the boundaries of the City of North Wildwood. The purpose of the Construction Department is to control all matters concerning the construction, alteration, addition, repair, removal, demolition, use, location, occupancy of all building and structures and adequately protect the health, safety and welfare of the people of the City of North Wildwood. Administrative, technical and advisory assistance is provided to all property owners, homeowners, architects, engineers, attorneys, developers, business owners and local and state agencies.

Construction Permits

Construction Permits are required to construct, enlarge, repair, alter, renovate, demolish, reconstruct or change the use of a building or structure or to install equipment. This is not an all-inclusive listing of permit requirements. Permit questions should be directed to the Construction Official at 609-522-2030 Ext. 1560.

Prior to applying for a permit there are certain approvals or certifications that may be required. These approvals are called Prior Approvals and are issued by various Federal, State, and/or County agencies. Some prior approval requirements that apply to some Building Permits are:

1. Zoning (609-522-2030 Ext. 1280).

2. Cape Atlantic Soil Conservation (609-626-3144).

3. Water from Wildwood Water Dept. (846-0600).

4. Sewer from the City of North Wildwood Sewer Dept. (522-2030 Ext. 1330).

5. Coastal Area Facilities Review Act (CAFRA) permit (609-292-0060).

What is a Building Permit?

A Building Permit is a license to proceed with the work approved and shall not be construed as authority to violate, cancel or set aside any of the provisions of the regulations. The work must conform to the approved application, plans and specifications for which the permit has been issued including prior approvals and any amendments to the approved plans.

Construction Application

A Construction Application is an application for a Building Permit. The application must contain a general description of the work, the work location, use and occupancy of all parts of the building or structure, the owner(s) name and address, block/lot, sanitary waste disposal (sewer or septic), water or well, etc. Additionally, two copies of plans, drawn to scale, with sufficient clarity and full dimensions to show the nature and character of the work to be performed are required. Applications can be printed from website below:

opens in a new windowhttp://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/resources/constructionpermitforms.html

Plans must show the following details:

Building Plans: Shall show foundation, floor, roof, structural plans (framing details), door and window sizes, section details, connection details, etc.
Electrical Plans: Shall show floor and ceiling plans, lighting, receptacles, motors and equipment, service entry location, line diagram and wire, conduit and breaker sizes.
Plumbing Plans: Shall show floor plans, fixtures, pipe sizes, equipment and other materials, fixture schedule and sewage disposal information.
Mechanical Plans: Shall contain floor and ceiling plans, size of air distribution ducts, duct location, and location of all equipment that will be installed.

Note: All plans must be sealed and signed by a New Jersey Registered Architect or Licensed Engineer. The Construction Official may waive the requirement for sealed plans in the case of a single-family homeowner who has prepared his own plans for the construction, alteration or repair of a structure intended to be used exclusively as his private residence, and to be constructed by himself.

Building Inspections


When a Building Permit is issued, the work must be inspected throughout the construction process. All inspections will be made by sub code officials. The following inspections must be completed before work may proceed beyond the completed stage:

1. The bottom of footing trenches must be inspected before concrete is placed in the trench. In case of pile foundations, a piling report shall be submitted before the inspection is made. The piling report must bear the seal and signature of an Architect or Licensed Engineer.

2. Foundations and all walls up to grade level must be inspected prior to back filling around the foundation.

3. All structural framing and connections, plumbing, electrical and fire rough installations must be inspected prior to insulating the walls.

4. Insulation installation must be inspected before sheet rocking the walls.

5. A final inspection of the entire project must be made before a Certificate of Occupancy is issued.

All inspections must be approved before proceeding to the next phase of the project.

Scheduling an Inspection
To schedule an inspection, contact the Construction Department at 609-522-2030

Extension 1560. Notify the Building Department 24 hours prior to the time the inspection is required. Inspection requests received prior to 3:00 p.m. are normally scheduled the next day. Inspections will always be completed within three business days.

Certificate of Occupancy

A Certificate of Occupancy is required for all building projects. Upon completion of the building or structure and passing the final inspection, the applicant must submit an application for a Certificate of Occupancy. The Construction Official will issue either a Temporary or Full Certificate of Occupancy within 10 days after the last approval.

Note: Final payment to the contractor is not required to be made before a final inspection is performed. (N.J. Division of Consumer Affairs Rule: N.J.A.C. 13:45A – 16.2(a) 10.ii).